Sunday, November 27, 2005

Newbie to the group: Starting Project


Hello everyone. Thanks for letting me join your KAL. I have been totally intrigued by the Irish Hiking Scarf since I saw it earlier this year. I then recently stumbled onto the wrist warmers that were made from the same pattern. And then just yesterday I discovered you guys. So I just had to join.

Well I started today making the first of two wrist warmers. I was not sure of the yardage on the yarn so I choose a yarn that I knew I had plenty of and that I could make a matching scarf and possibly enough for a hat.

I am using Plymouth Sunset on US#7 needles. I like what I have come up with so far. I have finished the first one and am already thinking of ways to do it MY way. Like normal I can never do a pattern completely as it says too... LOL I like to work on DPN's or in the Round and I think these will make up very nicely in that matter. I am also going to do a buttonhole thumb opening on my next pair. I really love Delia's pattern and thank you very much for posting it.

So far for just the 1 wristwarmer I have used about 3/4's the skein which only has 88yards. So once I have finished both of the wristwarmers I will post the exact yardage I used. I see that several people have asked the same question. I tried to find the answer but I also know that everyone's knitting and gauge can be different. I was so surprised at how easy it was to do. I finished the one over the afternoon.

The funny thing about this was while I was knitting the wrist warmer today my stepson looked at it and said he really liked it and then I told him I could make him a beanie(hat) and he was all jazzed about it. Infact he asked if he could go raid my stash to find the yarn he wanted it made with. I showed him the picture of the hat and now he is wanting to know how long it will take for me to make one for him and then he also ask if I would make one for his buddies J & E. Orders already and I have not even attempted one. As this discussion was going on my dear husband chimed in and requested the first one. So on Tuesday or Wednesday the boys are going to meet me at the LYS to pick out the yarn. I guess I know what I will be working on... LOL

Once again thanks for letting me join. I can see I am going to love it here.

BTW - I have a question for all you cablers. Which way do you prefer to make the cables with? (either a wooden cable needle or a metal hook or the no needle method) Just wondering. I have been experimenting with both the wooden and the metal and so far I have to say I like the straight wooden cable needle the best.

3 Comments:

Blogger knit_chick said...

I like the no-cable needle method. I just find it faster & less stress on the stitches when knitting. I pull all 6 sts off the needle, re-order them onto my left needle, then knit as usual.

Mon Nov 28, 09:35:00 AM CST  
Blogger Samantha said...

I have really taken a liking to the no-cable needle method. For an easy cable like this it's so much quicker, I think, to just do without. :)

Mon Nov 28, 10:32:00 AM CST  
Blogger Anny said...

I've tried them all and prefer the straight wooden one to the metal or plastic hook type. However, I did check out the link at the top left of this site for instructions on cabling without a cable needle and I'm hooked! So much quicker. I haven't used a cable needle since I learned how to do it without.

Tue Nov 29, 08:29:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home