Thursday, July 06, 2006

New Member - just beginning!

I began the Irish Hiking Scarf with Paton's Pebbles Yarn -



- but the results were disappointing. I frogged it after just 7 rows. The yarn was too soft for the pattern - and really didn't do it (the yarn or the pattern) justice. This pattern needed a stronger - less textured yarn - so the cable and stitches are more pronounced. At least that is my opinion. This is my first experience with doing CABLES! I was so worried I wouldn't "get it" - but I had no problems. I have other plans for the Pebbles yarn - meanwhile - I have decided to go with some Mary Maxim Yarns instead.

Mary Maxim Cloudspun Chunky Yarn



New 100 gm ball! Cloudspun chunky is 100% acrylic chunky weight yarn, mid-way between bulky and worsted weight, and knits up fast. Machine wash and dry. Moth-proof and non-allergenic. Approx. 150 yards (137 m) per 3 1/2 oz. (100 gm) ball. Suggested gauge: 15 sts. and 20 rows to 4 inches (10 cm) on size 10 (6.0 mm) needles. (Canada)

The color I have in my stash is Medium Gray Heather. This will work perfectly for this scarf and for my STASHALONG KAL as well as my Irish Hiking Scarf KAL.

So - I am beginning the scarf tonight (again) - and using yarn from my stash and committing to a month of staying clear of new yarn purchases! I hope to post pictures of my progress in the next couple days.

Come visit me at my blog. Advice and comments are always welcome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynda Lambert said...

I think that maybe you should have completed the entire pattern about three times to really get a good feel for what this yarn would have been like. You might have had a big surprise, or maybe not. It might have been stunning out of this yarn, or it might have been a disaster. But, I like to go farther along with the pattern to get a better "picture" of what it will do. This is a beautiful yarn at any rate. Good luck and happy knitting.

I am doing mine in the photo above yours and I, too, thought this yarn would not work when I first started it, but as you can see it is working really well. I thought it might be too busy for the cables, but they are really enhanced by the shifting colors of the yarn.

Sun Jul 09, 05:35:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home