Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Prototype Irish Hiking Santa Hat

Prototype Irish Hiking Santa Hat
Prototype Irish Hiking Santa Hat,
originally uploaded by Lomara.
I'm taking a cue from Knitchick and working up an adaptation of the Irish Hiking cable pattern for a Santa Hat. This is how far I've gotten (not very). It's a whopping 108 stitches round and 9 cables which is going to be a looser hat. (I was going for loose and floppy which would sound so sordid out of context!) There are mistakes a plenty, but it still may be decent enough to wear it out to Disneyland on Saturday if I can manage to finish the thing in time. This is just a prototype, so I am using the dreaded Red Heart TLC in White, and TLC Lustre in Claret (which isn't that bad, actually). I hope I can manage the decreases like I want, but I expect to crash and burn spectacularly since I have no idea how to decrease cables properly or make the hat pointed! Hurrah! [flails]

(The brim is meant to be thick and folded up)

5 Comments:

Blogger KniTaPaLooZa said...

What a fantastic idea. Good luck I can not wait to see the finished hat... Very cool.

Tue Dec 06, 01:14:00 AM CST  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

Damn, that's cute.

Tue Dec 06, 07:54:00 AM CST  
Blogger knit_chick said...

It looks great! To decrease a C6F cable, try "k1, k2tog, k2tog, k1" to decrease to 4 stitches. So if you need to do another cable cross a few rounds later, you would do a C4F instead.

Tue Dec 06, 10:10:00 AM CST  
Blogger knottyknitpicks said...

that's such a cute idea!!!!!! can't wait to see how it looks once you're finished.

Tue Dec 06, 04:11:00 PM CST  
Blogger lomara said...

Thanks for the tip, knit_chick. I was thinking about doing that very thing for the cable portion. So I think I may actually manage this! Hurrah!

Tue Dec 06, 08:53:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home