Monday, November 13, 2006

Irish Hiking Hat

I designed this hat using the cable pattern from the Irish Hiking Scarf.
There is a KAL for the Irish Hiking Scarf at http://irishhikingknitalong.blogspot.com/
The scarf pattern can be found at http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm
Please feel free to let me know if you find any mistakes in my directions.
For my blog, check out http://360.yahoo.com/blackhorsefree

Irish Hiking Hat

Gauge 5 stitches per inch
I used a 16” size 8 circular needle.
For the crown, a set of double pointed size 8 needles or two circular size 8 needles will be needed.
I started with 85 grams, or 3 oz. of worsted weight yarn and had some yarn left over.
I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease. Since this is a gift for my son, I knew he would throw it in the washer and dryer with his other laundry. Therefore, I used a yarn that would survive this type of laundering treatment.
Remember, working on a circular needle, every row will be a right side row.
Cast on 96 stitches. Join in a circle, being careful not to twist.
Row 1, Knit.
Row 2, Purl.
Row 3, Knit.
Row 4, Purl.
NOTE- for the bottom edge of the hat, you can make ribbing and make the ribbing long enough to fold up, or you can make garter stitch long enough to fold up. I chose not to do either of these things for two reasons:
1. I didn’t want to cover up the cables.
2. My son lives in a region that does not get extremely cold in the winter, so the double layer isn’t necessary to keep his ears warm.
Rows 5-11, (P2, K2, P2, K6) 8 times.
Row 12, (P2, K2, P2, Cable 6F) 8 times.
Repeat rows 5-11 until you have 5.5-7 inches, depending on the size of head you want the hat to fit. I ended with a cable row and then started the decreasing.
Decreasing:
While decreasing, continue to cable every 8th row. I did not write the cables into these decrease instructions. I did cable on my decrease rows on the the hat.
Your cables will always be in a K6 space.
You may also choose not to cable every 8th row, but you will have no more cables. The choice is yours.
Decrease row 1, (P2, K2, K2 tog, place marker, K6) 8 times.
You will have 8 markers on the hat.
The markers will help you to keep track of where to decrease.
Decrease row 2, (P2, K2, P1, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 3, (P2, K2, K2 tog, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 4, (P2, K2, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 5, (P2, K2 tog, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 6, (P2, K1, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 7, (P1, K1, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 8, (P1, K1, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 9, (K2 tog, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 10, (K1, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 11, (K2 tog, K5) 8 times.
If you are still making cables, you will start making the cables more narrow at this point because you have 5 stitches for your cable instead of 6. Another option is to stop making cables at this point. Remember, this is your hat, do what you want!
Decrease row 12, (K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 13, (K2 tog, K4) 8 times.
Decrease row 14, (K2 tog, K3) 8 times.
Decrease row 15, (K2 tog, K2) 8 times.
Decrease row 16, (K2 tog, K1) 8 times.
Decrease row 17, (K2 tog) 8 times.
Decrease row 18, (K2 tog) 4 times.
Cut yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail. With a darning needle, thread the yarn through the remaining four stitches and pull tightly. Weave the end around the circle on the inside of that hat. Now enjoy your hat!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tricotine said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern! :-)

I have made a scarf, wrist warmers and headband IH set but I guess a hat could't hurt... and maybe socks... LOL

Tue Nov 14, 02:45:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home