Saturday, November 25, 2006

Irish Hiking Hat Version 2

I'm sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to upload photos into this blog.
However, there are photos of this hat on my blog.
For my blog, check out http://360.yahoo.com/blackhorsefree
Please feel free to let me know if you find any mistakes in my directions.

I designed this hat using the cable pattern from the Irish Hiking Scarf.
There is a KAL for the Irish Hiking Scarf at http://irishhikingknitalong.blogspot.com/
The scarf pattern can be found at http://www.helloyarn.com/irishhikingcarf.htm

Irish Hiking Hat Version 2

Gauge 5 stitches per inch
I used a 16” size 8 circular needle.
For the crown, a set of double pointed size 8 needles or two circular size 8 needles will be needed.
I started with 85 grams, or 3 oz. of worsted weight yarn and had some yarn left over.
I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease. Since this is a gift for my son, I knew he would throw it in the washer and dryer with his other laundry. Therefore, I used a yarn that would survive this type of laundering treatment.
Remember, working on a circular needle, every row will be a right side row.
Cast on 96 stitches. Join in a circle, being careful not to twist.
Row 1, Knit.
Row 2, Purl.
Row 3, Knit.
Row 4, Purl.
Row 5, Knit.
Row 6, Purl.
Row 7, Knit.
Row 8, Purl.
Rows 5-7, (P2, K2, P2, K6) 8 times.
Row 8, (P2, K2, P2, Cable 6F) 8 times.
Repeat rows 5-8 until you have 5.5-7 inches, depending on the size of head you want the hat to fit. I ended with a cable row and then started the decreasing.
Decreasing:
While decreasing, continue to cable every 8th row. I did not write the cables into these decrease instructions. I did cable on my decrease rows on the hat.
Your cables will always be in a K6 space.
Decrease row 1, (K4, K2 tog, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 2, (K5, K6) 8 times. – In other words, K 88.
Decrease row 3, (K3, K2 tog, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 4, (K4, K6) 8 times. – In other words, K 80.
Decrease row 5, (K2, K2 tog, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 6, (K3, K6) 8 times. – In other words, K 72.
Decrease row 7, (K 1, K2 tog, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 8, (K2, K6) 8 times. – In other words, K64.
Decrease row 9, (K2 tog, K6) 8 times.
Decrease row 10, (K1, K6) 8 times. – In other words, K56.
Decrease row 11, K last stitch of the previous row tog with the first stitch of this round, then
(K5, K2 tog) 8 times.
Decrease row 12, (Cable 6F) 8 times.
Decrease row 13, K48.
Decrease row 14, (K2 tog, K4) 8 times.
Decrease row 15, K40.
Decrease row 16, (K2 tog, K3) 8 times.
Decrease row 17, (K2 tog, K2) 8 times.
Decrease row 18, (K2 tog, K1) 8 times.
Decrease row 19, (K2 tog) 8 times.
Cut yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail. With a darning needle, thread the yarn through the remaining four stitches and pull tightly. Weave the end around the circle on the inside of that hat. Enjoy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home