Wednesday, February 01, 2006

finished a scarf, now I need the accessories!




















This is the Irish Hiking Scarf I knit for my dad over Christmas. Made with 1.5+ balls of Patons Classic Wool Merino, size 8 needles. It's nice and warm and oh-so-pretty (for a men's scarf!). Measured around 65 inches or so, 5 inches across.

I'm still a relatively new knitter (this was my second scarf that involved anything beyond the knit stitch!) and this was my first project with cables. I didn't even use a cable needle because I didn't have one at that time- I held the stitches forward with one of the extra denise needle ends that I have in my kit!

Although a great pattern, I found that it took me soooo long. Probably because I am still a beginner knitter- how long did it take everyone else? It took me around 20 minutes per repeat (8 rows) if I was reallllly concentrating (which means 30 minutes or so normally). The fact that I was using a less bulky yarn and had to complete more pattern repeats than some of the other scarves that I've seen here didn't help :( The Patons wool was nice and easy to work with, though (though I really don't have anything to compare it with).

Anyway, this pattern is so great and I have joined the KAL because now I want to make the wristwarmers and hat!

2 Comments:

Blogger Twisted Knitter said...

I think your Irish Hiking Scarf is gorgeous! I love the color and your choice of yarn too. I am taking my time on mine so I don't really have a good idea whether your experience was a fast or a slow one, but I assume that over time, you will just become a faster knitter. Also, I have found that I have "memorized" the pattern and getting a rhythm as I knit. I just don't have large blocks of time in which to do so.

Thu Feb 02, 11:24:00 AM CST  
Blogger tiffany said...

yep, I'm looking forward to becoming a faster knitter as I knit more! hope your scarf is going well and post pictures so we can all see!

Mon Feb 06, 12:29:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home