Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Started Yesterday


I started this scarf as my first real cable project yesterday. I am using DK weight cashmere on size 6 needles. I hope this to be a x-mas present for my father in law, but we'll see how long this takes me.

Here is a picture of the progress so far. I'm sure some people will think I'm nuts, but I'm so picky about how it looks. I've read a few tips on how to get that one long stitch from looking funny at the twist on the left side of each cable, but it still looks long and floppy to me. I don't notice this in everyone elses pictures. How does everyones scarfs turn out so perfect??! I also find my sts are a bit floppier after I change from knit to purl. I know this is from the extra yarn that usally is held taught with tension from knitting, but when you purling after knitting you get a little bit more.

At least I haven't had the usual big holes in the cable problem I have read some people have.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tarah said...

Your scarf looks great! I found that my stitches looked a bit floppy (loose) after the switch from knit to purl, as well. One strategy is to try to keep an extra-tight pull on those stitches, but ultimately, the stitch will just *look* a little loose when you're examining it so closely, but when the row is done, you can't really tell at all- I certainly can't tell on your scarf!! If you are still anxious about it, you can give the scarf a bit of a pull when you have portions of it done (like gently stretching it out by gently tugging the sides at the same time) and this can help even out the stitches a bit.

Tue Nov 15, 11:56:00 PM CST  
Blogger Rhainnon said...

Thanks for the input! The farther I go, the more the stitches relax and don't bug me as much.

Wed Nov 16, 12:30:00 AM CST  
Blogger Andy's Crafts said...

Beautiful scarf Cheryl, lots of work 3 cables, I will tell you I said to myself this woman must be a gemini LOL. I have a gemini moon, so the idea multitasking is never a problem.

Wed Nov 16, 01:07:00 AM CST  
Blogger Cecilia said...

what a very pretty color! and your works looks very uniform to me. I do what Tarah said I stretch and wiggle it a little to spread any loose-ness back over a few stitches. . .

Wed Nov 16, 12:49:00 PM CST  
Blogger Anny said...

I find the only way to avoid the loose stitch is to knit (and purl) the whole thing through the back loop. It's much tighter but I find progress very slow. It's worth it though cause those loose stitches drive me nuts.

Fri Nov 18, 04:46:00 PM CST  
Blogger Rhainnon said...

Thanks ladies!

Ive been purling stiches after the cable clockwise, then on the reverse knitting into the back of the stitch. I'm not sure if its much better, but I'm not going to stop!

I think I have about 2 feet done now! Whee!

Fri Nov 18, 06:08:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home